07 October 2005

Blogtoberfest

I'm not sure if it's rude to just write my own post and not comment on others instead. It's been a couple weeks at least since I last logged on, and I've been excited to read up on things. I am in the midst of what is sure to be my busiest semester of law school. The good news is that I've already got a couple jobs lined up in Charlotte for next summer (6 weeks each - that's how it works). They're at Robinson, Bradshaw (rbh.com) and Hunton & Williams (hunton.com). The former is a great Charlotte firm and the latter is a good national firm with an office in Charlotte. Why did I write their web addresses? Because law firms aren't that cool and the names don't mean anything . . . so at least you can look at pictures if you want. I love being a law student, but the way peoples' eyes glaze over when I talk about the law gets really old. And people asking me what I think about Harriet Miers - well, I'm pretty sure I just spelled her name wrong, so obviously I don't know much about her. I'm more conservative than SOME of our readers (Deaniacs, non-profit workers, anyone who teaches English in a foreign country, etc.) but I'm pretty suspicious of the Pres.' personal lawyer myself. I'll graduate in 2007 - maybe if I can get some sort of White House job Bush will put ME on a district court or something.

Anyhow, with gas prices going so high, I'm being hit especially hard. I've got 3 cars. Yeah, well I had two really old cars with high miles and I had an opportunity to but another from my uncle - so I did. Now I've got a 96 Volvo w/ 210K miles that is my Sunday driving car. Pretty much, I'm living the high life.

The high life costs about $3.09 a gallon.

Well, I tried to resurrect this posting, but really it's falling short - so I'm wrapping things up.

keep up the good commentary - I'll be here.

- Ryan

p.s. Remember the Mitre? Well, before we left Oxford, Josh Brackett gave me the polo shirt he had from working there, and now I wear it around and get to tell stories. It's no canvas bag, but it's the best I have.

6 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

went by the mitre last week - one of my best friends (Rosie - only Zack knows her, but thought i'd through her name in anyway) just started at oxford and I helped her move in on Sunday.

good memories...

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

throw, not through.

opps.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Zack said...

Ryan,
My condolences on the BoSox. I am sure I have you supporting my team now (at least for this series!) Winning the World Series atones for a lot of sins, though. After the Angels won in 2002 I was prepared to forgive them for all previous, and potential future, mediocrity. I just wanted them to win it before I died, so that's one thing off the list, right?

Nicole,
Good to hear from you again! I'll need to get some mail out to you soon. I still have a few int'l postcard stamps (which I bought just for you!) left over from before I moved to London, so I'd better use those up.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Good to hear that you are loving law school. You are right, fall semester of your second year is most definitely the worst. I am in my final semester of law school (9 weeks, baby) and its seriously a snoozefest comparitively. But I'm definitely not complaining. I can imagine that you are doing fabulous with it all. Are you living in NC or just hoping to work there? Where are you in law school?

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Laura, I must have missed a posting somewhere along the way . . . because that mitre box thing really caught me off guard. Hope your woodworking skills are coming along.

Zack, I'm watching your Angels right now,praying for run production.

Julie, I'm at UNC Chapel Hill - I've been deviously planning on practicing in NC . . . and in-state tuition is excellent.

Nicole, I'm curious how you moved your friend . . . it must have been hard fitting all those boxes on the Oxford Tube (that's the only way to get from London to Oxford, isn't it?) The only cars I ever drove in were taxis to and from the bus station on arrival and departure.

Anyway, I think the best thing about the Mitre was that Brackett would get me free pepsi and they had large desserts.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Zack said...

I seem to remember the Brackster giving me a free adult beverage or two. I have a picture of him and me with pints in hand from the last time I saw him three+ years ago in LA. I do hope I get to see that kid again. Joshy, if you are checking up on this blog, do us all a favor and return that e-mail invite Chelsey sent you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home