26 July 2005

How's your Sanskrit?

Oooh, almost forgot to report my Philpott sighting at the British Library my last week in London. Made eye contact but didn't say 'hi'. I probably should have, as I have actually carried around in my backpack (for some reason) a nice thank you note he sent to the JCR after we prepared a spaghetti dinner for the senior members. It was really sort of sweet, believe it or not. He probably didn't recognize me sans beard anyway. I knew him by the tell-tale querry as to the security guard's dead-language-speaking abilities, as the poor guy searched the senior tutor's bag to make sure his Diet Coke and Cadbury Fruit and Nut weren't bombs. You never know, a suicide bombing campaign might be the only way to stop those propogators of the 'feudalism' misnomer...

1 Comments:

At 1:50 AM, Blogger Zack said...

Jill, glad you liked the pictures and the story. Do keep in mind that my posts often tend towards what strikes me as funny rather than strict factual accuracy (I'll let you decide which is which). Coloring the truth, embellishing a bit helps to jazz up one's stories. No reflections yet, other than to say England started to feel (almost) normal to me after a while. Also, as Nicole can attest, living abroad allows one the pleasant ability to mock and remain aloof from things you don't like in both the US and the country you live in. You can always pick and choose between the habits, attitudes, and norms each has to offer, and identify with your preference rather than your background or residency. Can't keep that up forever, though, obviously. I'll be at Princeton Theological Seminary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home