23 March 2005

That Idahoan movie

So I know the whole Napoleon Dynamite discussion was sooo three months ago, but I just saw it last night (discount theatre, the only one I can afford in London) and have a couple of questions for the Idahoans in the bunch.

What decade is that movie meant to take place in? Other than the internet (dial-up), the brother's do-rag at the end, and the Backstreet Boys and Jamiroquai dance routines, the entire movie seemed to be in a 1980s time warp. Does this reflect that the 'Gem State' (?) is just behind the times, or merely that the filmmakers were trying to exaggerate its isolated quality? Jen and I laughed outloud at the crimped hair, friendship bracelets, Cosby sweaters, and tetherball. I half expected someone to be sporting a 'members only' jacket. The Brits probably didn't get all of that, but the rest of the theatre was laughing too. I thought the personalities of the cool kids, et al were very true to life, and suspect the script was written from personal experience. Add me to the crowd that thinks the film is brilliant.

By the way Chelsey, what makes it 'sooo a Southern Idaho movie'? Missy, any further comments?

5 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Missy Small said...

Oh, no, it's set in 2004. Like any backwoods small town in any state (there are quite a few in Idaho, but trust me, every state has them) it takes about 10 years for new trends to make it. One of the reasons it is "soooo Southern Idaho" is that it is very Mormon (the writer and director, for example, goes to BYU)--southeastern Idaho is just a suburb of Salt Lake, you know. Also, people in North Idaho don't have a sense of humor... :) Just kidding! My roommate is from there! I love you all! :)

That is the most quotable movie in every situation. But while it is great when we Idahoans can constantly and proudly chuckle over it (and my office is addicted--it's like constituent relations or something), when people like you think it's funny we highly suspect that you are laughing at us. I mean, you don't even know.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Zack said...

'Heck yes!' Jen and I have been quoting it incessantly. I guess that means our senses of humor aren't too 'refined', but 'what the flip?' If I could dance like Napoleon Dynamite I would be the coolest person I know, although 'I've been practicing'. I've also been recruited by a lot of gangs here in London because 'I'm pretty good with a bo staff'. Buying that one on DVD when I get back to the States will be a top priority. By the way, having only been to Idaho when I was ten, visiting Yellowstone with the fam, I can't say I was consciously laughing at the state during the movie, although I certainly found the characters quite amusing. Thanks for the info ladies.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I wanted to get in on this one as someone who works with teenagers and college students and can quote the movie almost--if not better than--the Bible. As for the "sooooo Southern Idaho" bit...its very small town. I know Zach being from the OC grew up with a very trendy and glamourous life. I can assure you that my Southest Missouri/Western Kentucky childhood was also just as un-trendy and un-glamourous as the fun folks in the flick. I think thats why its so funny. We all thought we were so wicked cool. And everyone being so dramatic all the time--yeah, very small town. I don't want to steal the thunder of Southern Idaho, but I can assure you that the rest of the world is not laughing AT you, its with you. At least the small towners anyway.

By the way, Zach, when you get the DVD, watch the movie with the commentary on. Its the writer/director and the actor that played Nap. SOOOO funny.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Zack said...

Hey Jill, good to hear from you again. Sounds like living in wicked cool Massachusetts must have rubbed off on you. I'll be in grad school on the East Coast next year, and can't wait to visit a friend at UMass Boston. You still in that part of the world, or moved on to bigger and better things? By the way, you are due for a proper post on this esteemed blog, young lady.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Zack said...

Oops, guess that was 'Julie' not 'Jill'. Dislexia you know, it's a... well you know. 'Jill' when you read this, do let us know what you are up to. I'm going back to reading school...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home