07 January 2005

Let's slow down on the literary references . . .

Alright, folks. I know I'm not a founding member of this blog thing.

And I may be a little behind on giving an "update" . . .

But the intense intellectual banter is scaring me off and y'all (I live in North Carolina now) need to tone it down. We either need to label these entries by IQ category or at the very least put warnings on them, so I know to steer clear.

I just finished my first semester of law school at UNC, so this is no idle threat. Second semester classes start in a few days, and I'm putting off doing some reading. Lindsay (my wonderful wife) brings home the bacon (which contributes to her wonderfulness) as an ER nurse, allowing me to blog on this Friday afternoon.

Since finishing things up at Messiah I worked on a campaign for governor in PA (my guy lost), then worked at a bank trying to force people to refinance their homes and explaining to others why they couldn't use our bank b/c they owed other banks lots of money. After another 6 month stint in charge of facilities at a Charlotte firm, I'm here in the greater Chapel Hill area (i.e. greater than where you live). Lindsay and I own three cars which combined are worth less than $5,000 (no joke) - I bought the 3rd as my "vehicle on the side"; it's a Volvo and I think of it as sort of a Sunday vehicle . . . like in the old days.

That's all the news I really have. Thanks to those of you who have contributed. It's a little scary to post thoughts in the early stages of such a venture. The coolest kids always sit in the back of the bus and write last, waiting to make sure the blog lasts before putting their good name on a site that may fail. The dorky kids (like myself) just make comments about other people's blogs and don't actually write anything useful. It's you pioneers who make such things work.

So keep on blogging . . . just dumb things down a bit for the good of all (er, me).

p.s. I'm not sure why this site is four hours off - it's probably due to all of you who live outside EST. If we could fix that, that would be great. I've made a personal clock adjustment here.

7 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger amcorrea said...

Wow, if you only knew what I had waiting in the wings...! (I have the opposite problem: there's a dearth of intellectual stimulation around here.) Out of respect for your wishes, I'll save it for another time. Of course, not being skilled at witty banter does put me at a slight disadvantage. :P

Glad you finally posted! Congrats on finishing your first semester of law school! :)

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger amcorrea said...

I have long-since embraced my dorkiness, so it's all good.

I also echo the wishes that everyone post anything and everything frequently and often. That will keep me from trying to fill the lulls with "intense intellectual banter" (is this a threat? Quite possibly... ;)

But I don't think Blogger will do away with us anytime soon ("people of the year" status and all that). Thus, we will be safely kept from the potentially dangerous practice of thumb-biting.

(And GMT pleases me too, but I'm weird that way.)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Zack said...

As a site dedicated to pretending we all still live in Oxford, what other time zone could we possibly set our blog to? Here's to GMT!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Missy Small said...

Like I said, I read the Little House on the Prairie Books over Christmas--I'm all about dumbing things down a bit! The word on my "Word of the Day" calendar today was "Applesauce," so you can tell what level I'm at! (Honestly, does the person who gave me this calendar think "applesauce" is my multi-syllabic potential???)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Ryan, Sahweet. Another law school dork...er, god, er...yeah. I don't know. I share your sentiments about the incessant literary references though. I have thought about throwing out useless latin phrases, but opted to just avoid it all together and find other ways to procrastinate getting into 2nd semester reading. In fact, I'm in class right now trying to make myself understand why we have now spent 7 days on the same topic. And why I bothered to read the cases when the restatement gives me all the info I could ever hope to know. Ah, well. Still beats listening to Greg tell me that I will get raped....if I walk late at night on Canterbury Road. Would his comments count as assault? Maybe we could sue.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Julie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger amcorrea said...

(I took care of that duplicate post for you, Julie.)

Again, I wish you guys would just post--about *anything*! (Your classes, movies you've seen, what you're listening to, what you ate for lunch, etc.) That way, I wouldn't have to resort what you complain of. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home