04 January 2005

Gathering moss...

Well. I'm glad that I posted early, since I have very little remotely comparative to say after all the rest of you have shared your stories of excitement and service and passion. And, as you've already been inundated with "what Missy's been up to since Oxford," I don't even have that to fall back on! And yet I feel compelled to post, just because I've so enjoyed reading your entries, and I'd like to continue the trend. I appreciated Vic's comment about picking up where we left off--with this group, "catching up" is merely one more venue for deeper reflections on, well, things. I don't know how I managed to find you all in that one house on Canterbury Road, but I wish finding folks like you was so easy in the rest of the world!

Enough sappiness from me. As I read about all of your adventures, I feel very boring and humdrum to be sitting here in a suit, listening to C-SPAN. If that sounds exciting, it's not. :) Yes, I really have had a real, grown-up job for three years now--and part of me is very jealous of both the adventures you've had and the passion that you are pursuing. Wasn't this just something to do for a year or so until I figured out the next step? :) I must confess, seeing where all of you are makes me feel a bit lost in my own world! Now I'm expecting all you "Activist-Types" (to use Carrie's description) to be knocking down my cubicle door sometime in the coming months... I know that once all the political niceties were exchanged we could have a really great chat over cafeteria food. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. I like sneaking onto this site and remembering that people like you (who can in fact use the phrase "circular ecumenicalism" with the same authority as I can use to say "bunch of crap") really do exist. Meanwhile, I spent Christmas break rereading the entire series of "Little House on the Prairie" books with great relish and laughing at "Napoleon Dynamite" until my sides hurt. We in the Otter office have decided that it constitutes "research for improving constituent relations" and feel no qualms at playing excerpts of it at regular intervals throughout the day (yes, Ryan, that IS what Idaho is like...sort of). I hope to be smart again someday.

Missy

3 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger amcorrea said...

Have I seen Napoleon Dynamite?

"Heck yes I did!!"

And loved every minute. I think I will write in Pedro Sanchez in the next election.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Missy Small said...

True. And at the risk of starting a civil war within the state, I would go so far as to say it is an Eastern Idaho movie (I certainly didn't wear my FFA jacket to school)...though my coworker from Genessee insists that many parts of the movie transcend to the North Central region as well (except the Ligars--that is truly Pocatello). V. Funny. V. sad you didn't laugh to tears, Chelsey! :)

Regrouping, Ana Maria, I've taken up Jane Eyre again for the first time since high school, and it made me think of you for some reason.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger amcorrea said...

Oh, thank you! Yes, Jane Eyre is my favorite novel. Period. At the risk of sounding absurdly cheesy, she's been my hero, role model, etc., etc. since I was 12. Happy reading! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home