18 December 2004

I kissed updating goodbye

Or not.
Here goes, a long summary but oh well: After Oxford I went back to Biola where I ended up being an RA. This was probably the best thing for me, since otherwise I would have sat in a dungeonous (I know that's a crab, but is it also an adjective? Ana Maria?) dorm room reading books and lamenting the loss of Oxford. Despite my much improved sociability stemming from being an 'example' (you can smirk, it's funny) for a floor full of freshmen guys, I was reminded why I wanted to get away from Biola in the first place, and did my final semester at the American Stuies Program in Washington, DC. There I not only reconnected with several of you now reading this, but met my girlfriend of two-and-a-half years, Jen. ASP was an excellent experience and got me very interested in politics, justice issues, and international peace (especially in the Middle East). I liked DC so much that I moved back for a year after graduation, and Jen did too. I spent two months sleeping on couches, working in a coffee shop, and going to interviews (some may find amusing the story of my interview at my Republican congressman's office -- it didn't go too well). Finally, I ended up working as a sort of live-in housing manager for an addiction recovery program for homeless men and women in the Columbia-Heights/Adams-Morgan area. That was a profoundly difficult and stretching experience, which also let me get to know some people working really hard to get their lives in order (not always successfuly). Jen and I went to an awesome church there, which I continue to miss being away from. It was tiny and quite mixed racially and socio-economically, but we all came together to worship and to be active in the church's inner-city neighborhood. They are good people.
The next fall (2003) Jen started law school at Notre Dame, and I went to Chicago to work at the local L'Arche community for people with developmental disabilities. Those of you who have read a lot of Henri Nouwen will have heard of L'Arche (that's how I did). This was another very intense community living experience, with many joys and frustrations. One woman there with Down's syndrome (who despite everything is a darling, really) was harder to deal with than any two of the recovering addicts I lived with in DC (and that could get interesting, let me tell you). Thanks to her I learned a great deal about managing anger and stress, but I was also truly delighted by how warm, accepting, and loving the four 'core members' were. It was also nice being a short train ride from South Bend, where I usually went to visit Jen on my days off.
Now I am living in London where I am studying theology for a year at King's College, part of the University of London. This worked out great, since Jen is also here for the year with Notre Dame's year abroad program. I live in an ugly building spewn out of the ground in the 1970s, where everything is rather 'dodgy' (as the Brits say), and practical jokers set off the fire alarm at 3am on a regular basis. On the other hand, for all its crappiness it is still completely adequate for me. Although it has its draw backs, I must say that living in a dorm that reminds me of the inside of a submarine seems like paradise after two years living in community with very little privacy or personal space. As wonderful as community living is, it's not something I could do forever. Although money is too tight to do exciting things too often, Jen and I have been able to get around a bit. I am loving visiting the pubs, where the atmosphere is vastly superior to American bars, and I have missed them since Oxford. Each day I walk along the Thames to class, and pass all the postcard sights. I am quite enjoying being here and, to boot, the workload is a piece of cake in comparison to Oxford. It is quite fun seeing Nicole around as well. I am going home for Christmas tomorrow morning, and as much as I love London I can't say I'll miss the freezing rain and wind those two weeks I'll be back in 'the OC.' Speaking of which, the only good thing that's come of that show (I admit, I haven't actually watched it) is that it's made my home famous, so that even here in England I no longer have to say 'I'm from L.A.' to avoid lengthy explanations of my origins.
Although exciting, all this moving around can be a bit disorienting. To quote a certain member of this blog (who expressed this feeling far more poetically than I ever could to another blogger), the past four years I have felt sort of 'like a cat, jumping from cushion to cushion but not quite able to get comfortable anywhere.' Since I went to Oxford I haven't lived continuously in the same place for more than a year at a time. I am looking forward (well, not right away) to that changing next year when I (presumably, I still have to apply) start grad school back in the States. I am applying to a couple of divinity schools/seminaries to continue feeding my interest in theology (and particularly what it has to say about political life), but I am most interested in the Peace Studies program at Notre Dame, which is top notch and close to Jen. Since I am not from Rwanda or the West Bank, my chances of being accepted there are pretty slim, but that would be my ideal. I would really like to get involved somehow in inter-religious dialogue, especially with the Islamic world, either as a part of the Church or a non-profit/NGO. I also would be interested in helping educate people in American churches about Islam, to curb knee-jerk reactions and hopefully promote better reasoned, less fearful, responses to current conflicts. No need to get too political here, but that is really what I am passionate about (and I'm tempted to say something I feel 'called' to do). Becoming a 'pastor' (or a vicar) isn't really my 'thang', but I will need a job eventually, so who knows what will happen.
Well, long update, several tangents, probably lost some of you. Hope this is of interest. By the way, Chelsey, this blog is a fabulous idea, and I have really enjoyed hearing what everyone's been up to (and laughing) the past couple weeks. For now, 'Cheers!'

7 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger amcorrea said...

Ah ha! So that means "Ambassador" is none of the above? Can this be solved by a process of elimination? ;)

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger amcorrea said...

Sorry Zack... "Dungeness" is the crab and I can't find "dungeonous" anywhere--although it really *should* exist as a word. :) I'll give you express credit for coining it!

Can I just say how much you guys are helping me? (Particularly Jesse and Zack's recent posts.) I don't feel so lost anymore.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Awesome update Zach. I just said "awesome." I work with teenagers at my church and I just finished finals so thats the best word I can come up with. I forget I can use ten-dollar words with you guys. heehee.

Anyway, I am not sure if you remember or not, but I visited Missy in DC that semester you were there with ASP and we all had dinner together. I think that was the last time I saw you. SO different--no Jesus look at all. Actually a DC poster boy. Very dashing.

But I think its awesome what you are doing. I can relate to your interest in theology as it relates to politics. The more education I get, the more I want to scream "How can people NOT believe in God?!" So obviously abundant everywhere. But its quite an amazing realization when you wake up and discover that God actually has an opinion about what goes on in the world and He actually has the answers. And He actually wants to use weak, clumsy, selfish me to bring that revelation to people. I am sure you've read Gary Haugen's book (IJM guy). There is a quote in it that I have framed in my room that talks about how God sees all the "bad stuff" in the world. "Standing with my boots in the reeking muck of a Rwandan mass grave where thousands have been horribly slaughtered, I have no words, no meaning, no life, no hope if there is not a God of history and time who is absolutely outraged, absolutely furious, absolutely burning with anger toward those who took it into their own hands to commit such acts."

Every time I get my favorite question: "What makes you think you can be a Christian and a lawyer at the same time?" my brain goes to this quote. God actually has an opinion about every diseased orphan, every lunatic 7th-grader, every Ted Kennedy look alike, every Columbian villager, every Habitat for Humanity applicant. Our job is just to figure out what that opinion is and bring life to people. I applaud you. Anyone who wants to find out more about the world by finding out more about God is definitely on the right track. Keep it up.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Zack said...

Chelsey, in my defense, Barth, Hugo, Kant (who was also sentence-challenged), and the Apostle Paul (ditto Kant) have all had difficulties with their paragraph length and the proper endings thereof. Also, there were, in fact, several paragraphs in the text that for whatever reason don't appear in the post (I swear! I know how to use the tab key). Besides, if I ever say anything smart enough for someone to want to publish it, I'll have an editor like you who knows how to do all that 'grammar' stuff properly.
Besides, Grammar rules are really just a tool for the oppression of minority linguistic groups. Don't pin your metanarratives on me!
All in good fun though, thanks for making fun of me. Seriously, that's my favorite thing about Jen is that she doesn't let me take myself seriously (which of course I do all the time...)

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Zack said...

Julie: of course I remember having dinner with you and Missy. I was depressed because we were at an Irish pub and I was (for once) actually taking seriously my commitment not to 'drink, smoke, chew, or go with girls who do' while at ASP, so I did not have a Guiness (although you and Missy 'kept me strong' by ordering Cokes). I remember the waitress came around to take our orders, and I hadn't decided, so I panicked and impulsively asked for something called Irish stew, then changed my mind and got some other item which I do not remember.
Also, to all who (like me) have nothing better to do with their time than post something on this blog every other day, I would like to apologise for being a shameless name-dropper and literature quoter in my postings on this blog. It's pathetic (nod your heads in agreement, it's okay). I was just reading over them all and realised that I've been 'that guy'. I don't ever want to be that guy. Perhaps it's just to prove myself to all of you 'smart people' from Oxford who make me feel so inferior and insecure. I recant of my ways, and will flaggelate myself repeatedly over the Christmas holiday with a very large fish.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger amcorrea said...

"I would like to apologise for being a shameless name-dropper and literature quoter in my postings on this blog. It's pathetic (nod your heads in agreement, it's okay)."

Zack, you have nothing to apologize for because you, my dear, are not an arrogant prick. You are of the pure of heart. (We stand firm on the sure knowledge that this sort of thing is always done with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Besides, if you have to apologize that means I have to as well!)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Julie, you mentioned Gary Haugen's book- hearing him speak and reading his book after I got back from Oxford is actually what got me interested in studying human rights. Zack, it's awesome to hear what you are passionate about...I am trying to figure out in my life what it looks like to transition from being very interested in social justice issues, and having strong opinions on political issues to doing something about those things that are so important. I guess for a long time the cynical thought of "I can't make a difference" stopped me, along with some hesitation to cross the line that might make me "An Activist." *insert spooky music* So...I'm not sure where I'm headed with these recent thoughts, but I know I want to be a part of something bigger than just me, and want to help other people be aware of what's going on in the world and how to help...without becoming that annoying preachy person who won't shut up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home