02 July 2005

I still use my canvas bag!

How is it that Canterbury Road got such a hold of us? We've all done things- we've all connected with new people around us- it seems we all know to look for such sincerity in expereinces- but there is something about that time, that mix of us, and place- that just can't be beat. As I've wandered through you comments- I have fallen in love with you all over again. And I vicariously live through your blogs by reading about Istanbul, Washington, London, Maryland.... now you too can live a little of my life in Sinclairville, NY.
I recently became a homeowner in a small town near my hometown. It is a raised ranch with 5 acres and millions of projects to experiment on. We live up the road from where my husband works and we come home to three dogs that eagerly want our attention. Two Alaskan Sled Dog Huskies that we ski behind in the winter, bike behind in the summer, and one Great Dane that spends her day finding new places to lie down. I teach English to 7th and 8th graders and am very surprised by how much I love it. I have lots of freedom and have been trying to do everything I can to make reading relevant and useful for 13 year old minds. It's good to be close to home- and while most of it is all so familiar- looking at things as I do today- it all seems pretty new as well. I live simply- and quietly- and try my hardest to not merely just do things- but really experience them. I'm happy to be near family- to enjoy my backyard garden- and to figure out a way to connect with those around me. I'm experiencing my first summer as a teacher- and last week I started grad school with a class on the European Union. Now, I'm no Political Scientist by any means- but I can tell you that I enjoyed the week long intensive mostly because my professor reminded me of our endearing friend Nigel Frith. This man, Neil Nugent, was a Brit. with enthusiasm, quarkiness, and a grunting laugh that took me back. It took me about 12 hours to refamiliarize myself with his accent- and if I had a few more days with him- I believe he too would have had his class over for tea and a curious artwork tour of blonde beach beauties with the right amount of sheen on their figures. It was refreshing to feel academic again. And I feel I haven't since our tutorials and seminars.
I'm very proud of all of you. I miss you terribly. And while I know a reunion would be hard to coordinate, I'm thankful for you correspondence gurus out there who figured out this blog thing. Thanks for bringing me back. I'll talk to again soon.

Trusting,
Betsy

1 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Zack said...

Yay! Hi Betsy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home